Tuesday 29 August 2017

Eight questions with Johanna Glaza

Next up in our series of interviews with Tigmus artists, we caught up with Johanna Glaza recently... she's set to release her debut album 'Wind Sculptures' later in the year and is supporting Lucía Scansetti alongside Emma Ballantine in London on October 13th - tickets and more info here! Get reading to find out more about Johanna!


1. First up, who is Johanna Glaza?!

It's me. Lithuanian born London based independent artist, with lungs full of songs.

2. How long have you been making music? Tell us your biggest musical influences!

I've been singing ever since I remember myself. But my first full time music project was the band Joana And The Wolf when I moved to London. Then in 2013 I've released my first solo EP Silence Is Kind and ever since enjoyed my solitary songwriting experience. It's always so hard to tell what really has influenced us, layers and layers of things we listened to, read and experienced. But when writing this album I've be listening to Arvo Part a lot, Lubomyr Melnyk too, also was going back to 70s - Joni Mitchell, Linda Perhacs, Roy Harper, Laura Nyro.

3. The 405 just premiered the video for your new tune Space Mermaid... it’s clear from the video and a glance through your photos online that visual art is a big element of your music, would you agree?

Very often I draw inspiration for my music from visuals - paintings, photographs etc. So maybe there is some natural correlation between the sound and the visuals. But I think lyrics are much more important to me than visuals. They are the bones that hold everything together. There could be no visuals at all but if the lyrics are evoking some strong images that can stir peoples imagination I feel like my work has been done. I guess the right images are necessary to unlock certain things and emotional codes that are so hard to express. I paint by words and melodies, these are my primal tools, anything else is additional.


4. We hear from the article that your debut album ‘Wind Sculptures’ is ready for release... how does that feel?! What can we expect from the record?

I feel terribly proud and terrified at the same time. Really happy I followed my instincts and recorded the album to tape at analogue studio, it was a very special experience. Very lucky too to have met someone who I think understood me and my songs completely. Ed Deegan has done some amazing work producing it. He helped me to challenge myself and all my insecurities, always walk on the edge of raw and beautiful and didn't let me use any 'make up' on songs. So they feel now very true to me. And the whole approach to arrangements by using tape loops and found sounds instead of usual synths and samples made it even more special.

5. You’re supporting at our upcoming Lucía Scansetti show at The Harrison in London on 13th October - we can’t wait for the show! Have you played alongside Lucia or Emma Ballantine before?

No, I haven't and I 'm looking forward to hearing them live very soon!

6. Who is your audience and how do you connect with fans - all the usual social media?! Any crazy, fun, exciting stories about your fans are very welcome!

I'm very slow with the social media. I was probably the last person to join Facebook and later Twitter. I still don't have Instagram account. I love the actual physical presence during the live shows. It's a very unique experience to be on stage in your own world and at the same time to be able to communicate with the audience. The best part about people who love what I do - very often they become my really good friends.

7. Describe your dream gig to us! Any venues that you’re desperate to play in London, or further afield? Any artists you’d love to collaborate with on a performance?

I dream to have a world tour at abandoned churches...

8. As we glide through Summer rapidly, what does the rest of the year hold for you?

The end of September I'll see my album out and then planning a lot of shows. But also really looking forward to going back to my own bubble to write more songs. That's just what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment